Monday, September 2, 2013

Roasted Corn, Bacon & Goat Cheese Salad


Yes, it is labor day, but I refuse to think summer is ending. Tomatoes are still so delicious this time of year and especially corn in the Northeast!So I will still be eating delicious salads like this one.  Sometimes a regular ole lettuce salad will just not do!I like this salad because it is so simple, has limited ingredients and has such bold flavors!Plus you can practically serve it with anything.



I made this salad recently with grilled steaks and it was such a perfect accompaniment!It was light but super bold. Mixing charred corn and smokey bacon and tangy goat cheese you have the perfect combination for a taste bud explosion! If you cannot find fresh corn where you are feel free to use frozen. I happen to think it comes out soggy every time I use frozen corn so I don't. Did I mention you will be sauteing the corn in bacon fat? Heck yes!!

Like Spice? You can also make this salad spicy by adding chopped jalapeno.If I had one on hand I certainly would have added it!

 So if you refuse to think summer is ending like me, make this salad! You won't be disappointed! This salad would also be perfect with grilled chicken or shrimp/fish.

Ingredients: 
4 ears of fresh corn
3 scallions chopped
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
4 large tomatoes
1/4 cup goat cheese crumbled
Juice & zest of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
S&P to taste
5 strips of bacon, cooked then crumbled

Directions: 

1. Cut corn off of cob and place in a bowl.
2. Chop bacon and cook in a skillet until brown and with a slotted spoon take out bacon.
3. In the same pan, cook corn kernels in bacon fat until tender ( 5 minutes.)
4. While corn is cooking chop cilantro, scallions,tomatoes and crumble goat cheese.
5. Now it's time to assemble. Assemble corn at the bottom of the plate. Layer tomatoes, scallions and goat cheese and bacon.
6. In a small bowl mix juice and zest of the lime and olive oil and drizzle over salad.




2 comments: