Monday, April 29, 2013

Tangy Green Apple & Kale Salad



Ever get tired of plain ole romaine? Yup, I do. I try to rotate lettuce for salads because the same kinds of salads get boring to me. I try to do baby spinach,frisee and now my new favorite salad item KALE!!! 
If you haven't tried it yet, kale is a really delicious and versatile green. You can blend it into shakes,saute it like you would spinach or use it as lettuce for a salad!I especially love kale in this salad because it stands up to the tangy lemon dressing.
 Kale contains lots of great nutrients like calcium,B6 and even has a bunch of fiber! More than whole wheat bread!Fiber that keeps you fuller longer? Sign me up!Ok, I stepped off my soap box. Back to the recipe.

This salad is super simple to prepare. I chop and wash/dry the kale the night before I need to use it. I discard the stems because they are very tough, but you can keep them on if you want. You can even make the dressing the night before. I top this salad with green apple and Parmesan cheese. Yeah, I know. Sounds a bit weird. It is so delicious. This salad is super tangy and delicious so if you have not tried kale yet get onboard the kale train!

Tangy Green Apple & Kale Salad

Ingredients:
1 head of curly kale
1 green apple thinly sliced
Juice and zest of one lemon
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ( shredded)
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil

Directions:
1. Wash,dry and chop kale ( discarding stems.)
2. Mix olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice.
3. In a large bowl, place kale and top with apple.
4. Add dressing and toss salad. 
5. Top with Parmesan` cheese and serve!


2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and started following! I definitely agree, if I don't change my salad greens , I can get bored of salads really quickly. Great job, this salad sounds fantastic!

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get on board with the kale! I'm not sure what it is! Maybe this is another one that I need to start developing more! Keeping inspiring me Leanne!

    ReplyDelete