Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Guiltless Buffalo Chicken Pizza



Do you ever have meal envy? You know, when you are watching someone eat the most delicious meal and the meal you have sucks. This horrific scenario happened to me yesterday. I brought my lunch to work and could smell the amazing aroma of buffalo chicken subs from a coworker. I so badly wanted to sink by teeth into this fried masterpiece, but I held myself back and ate my boring lunch. Cut to dinner time. I needed my buffalo fix, but minus the enormous calorie count. Cue in guiltless buffalo chicken pizza.

I am in love with trying to make fattening foods I love more figure friendly because honestly, who loves dining on lettuce and celery all day? Not this chick. This meal was a cinch to put together and was pretty darn healthy too ( or at least not fattening.) I used a whole wheat thin, pre-baked crust that I absolutely adore that only takes ten minutes to bake. Feel free to use any fresh dough or prebaked crust you like. They key to this being a boat load healthier than the normal buffalo chicken pizza is using low fat cheese, high quality blue cheese and grilled chicken. Since blue cheese is so pungent you don't need a ton of it. Not to mention when you use high quality you can use less because it tastes so darn good. I also love topping this warm pizza with fresh celery ( and leaves) and my home made blue cheese dressing made from Greek yogurt.

Guiltless Buffalo Chicken Pizza





















Ingredients:
1 ball of fresh dough or store bought dough
1 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
2 celery stalks ( chopped)
2 scallions ( chopped)
1/4 cup of buffalo sauce
2 chicken breasts ( cooked and chopped)
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup pungent blue cheese ( crumbled)

Directions:
1. Use rotisserie chicken or sprinkle chicken with chili powder and bake chicken at 350F for 20 minutes or until cooked through. Shred with two forks.
2. Spread buffalo sauce on pizza shell ( like you would tomato sauce) until evenly coated.
3. Sprinkle with cheese, chicken and blue cheese.
4. Bake at 400F for 12-15 minutes or until crust is brown and cheese is melted.
5. Serve with blue cheese



1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I prefer my chicken for pizza grilled instead of breaded and fried, and I love the idea of topping it all with celery. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete