Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My Healthy Eating Mantra: Buffalo Turkey Meatballs


My mantra for eating is to try to eat healthy most of the time and when you have a hankering for pure crap you know you shouldn't eat, go for it! Part of what helps me do this is finding healthy ways to make the fattening foods I love. It actually is alot easier than you may think. 
My friend Katie swears by this recipe. She makes it every week and eats it over salads. I ate it with quinoa and even put it in a sandwich and it was delicious. It takes away my craving for buffalo wings and it low in fat. Score! I used 95% ground turkey breast, but you can use ground chicken or whatever you want. Just know if you get regular ground chicken or turkey it can have skin and dark meat in it which makes it higher in fat. I serve these with my home made blue cheese dressing made with Greek yogurt. It is super easy and tastes like the real thing!You can also make these a bit smaller and serve them as a appetizer at a party.

Ingredients:
1 lb of lean ground turkey
1/4 cup chopped yellow onions
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup buffalo sauce 
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1 egg, beaten

Directions:

  1. Chop onion and garlic finely and add to a medium sized bowl.
  2. Add lean ground chicken or turkey and mix to incorporate, but do not overmix.
  3. Add egg and breadcrumbs and blue cheese crumbles.
  4. Roll into small balls ( should make 12) and put in a 9X13  pan.
  5. Bake at 400F for 15-17 minutes.
  6. Toss with buffalo sauce until coated and top with blue cheese crumbles and dip in blue cheese.






















6 comments:

  1. Those look wonderful!!! I'll be trying them sometime, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really yummy! Let me know if you try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely the most inspired post you've had in awhile ;).... glad they worked out they are sooo easy def a go to

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is watering looking at these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making these for super bowl party. The picture makes them look too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete