Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Brocolli Rabe French Bread Pizzas


I feel like I say this with every recipe I write about, but I will say it again! I love easy weeknight meals. After working all day, working out and driving 2 hours round trip to get home I don't feel like spending  an hour cooking dinner. This french bread pizza is so easy! And if broccoli rabe isn't your thing you can fill it with anything! You can buy one loaf of french bread and make individual pizzas for each member of your family!

I like broccolli rabe because it is really flavorful. Some don't like it because it is bitter, but I find if you boil it then saute it with garlic and olive oil it is delicious! I added tomatoes to my pizza because I love them, but again, add whatever you like!

As a tip, make sure you hollow out the bread to make room for the toppings. Plus, you are saving on some carbs! Score! I came up with some other french bread pizzas in case you needed some inspiration!

  • Fresh figs, goat cheese & Balsamic reduction
  • Ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato
  • Tomato sauce, pepperoni, sausage and peppers

Broccolli Rabe French Bread Pizzas

Adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients

  • Salt
  • 1 large bundle broccoli rabe, trimmed, washed and dried, coarsely chopped
  • 1 large french bread loaf split horizontally, (Portion in your head for 4 servings of bread pizzas to pick the right size)
  • EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
  • 1 tomato sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic( for rubbing)
  • Black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 ball fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
Directions: 

1. Preheat broiler and position rack 1 rung from top of oven.

2.Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a covered deep skillet. Remove cover and season water with salt and boil the rabe 3-4 minutes to cook out their bitterness, drain well.

3.Hollow out sliced bread. Place bread on a cooling rack placed over a baking sheet so heat can circulate and the bottom of the bread can remain crisp. Lightly toast bread under broiler, 2-3 minutes. Remove from oven then rub inside of baguette with garlic cloves.

4.Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add red pepper flakes and stir, then add broccoli rabe and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat.

5.Top the bread with  broccoli rabe and  cheese. Return bread pizzas to the oven for 3 minutes or until brown and bubbly on top.





1 comment:

  1. My dad used to make bread pizzas when I was younger, great memories! Great reminder, too, I can start making them for dinner!

    ReplyDelete