Thursday, September 6, 2012

Drunken Spaghetti



Let's be honest. Pasta in a white wine sauce is divine. And no, the spaghetti is not actually drunk, but my husband came up with this witty title. How could I not use it? I thought about calling this Everything but the Kitchen Sink Pasta because it has so many possible  ingredients in it!You can literally add any protein or veggies that you have in your fridge. I had one link of sweet sausage, two chicken breasts, spinach, mushrooms,zucchini,peppers and onions. See what I mean? Everything but the kitchen sink. Add whatever you want, I dare you. I bet it would be good. Unless it's peanut butter and jelly. That does not belong in pasta. That's gross.

Another reason why I like pasta dishes like this is because you don't actually have to eat that much pasta. There is so much going on in this pasta dish that you don't actually miss eating a crap load of carbs. It only uses half of a box of pasta for four adults. I don't know about yours, but my thighs are thankful for this fake out. I got inspired when reading a recipe from Chef Dennis's blog ( which is great by the way) and just went crazy with it adding whatever I had on hand. If you don't like to cook with wine you can use all broth or alcohol free cooking wine. Wine just makes everything better. And if you don't use it I don't think you should call it Drunken Spaghetti because then it wouldn't really make sense. :)

Drunken Spaghetti 


 



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Serves Four

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound of chicken ( 2 breasts) chopped into bite size pieces
  • 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms
  • 1 sweet Italian sausage link
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/5 cup of vegetable stock ( or chicken)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/2 lb  spaghetti
  • Grated Parmesan cheese for topping
  • 1 tbsp. (15 gm) fresh chopped basil (for garnish)
Directions:
  1. Dredge chicken pieces in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and saute in a  large saute pan with about a tablespoon of olive oil.
  2. Cook chicken 3-4 minutes on each side until brown. 
  3. Peel off sausage casing and add ground sausage in a separate pan. Add all veggies and saute until they are tender( not overcooked!!!)You will not need to add any extra oil.
  4. While both pans are working boil pasta to packaged directions.
  5. Add white wine to chicken once it is brown and let it cook off. Sauce should thicken. Add veggie stock.
  6. When veggies are cooked through and chicken is good and drunk off of wine sauce and pasta is al dente add in a large bowl and toss with tongs. Let sauce distribute through the pasta and top with cheese and basil.



3 comments:

  1. Yummers! Looks like a healthy, tasty drunk pasta to me! Is it just me, or is pasta in any alcohol delicious? Vodka? Yum! Wine? Delicious! Jagermeister... unknown.... Do it for me Leanne! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff! You are back! I missed you while you were away on a blogging vacation. I agree that alcohol makes anything better. I will maybe find a recipe to use Jager and dedicate it to you. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, I will try it.

    ReplyDelete