Friday, June 22, 2012

Grilled Veggie & Goat Cheese Crostini


Summer is here people! I was looking for a light dinner and did not want to even step foot near my stove. I found this recipe on Whole Foods.com and I could not wait to get home and grill my dinner! These are what I would call a fancy open face sandwich and it could not be easier to cook! If you were looking for smaller portions for appetizer just use smaller portions of bread and slice veggies a bit smaller and this will wow your guests!

You can use whatever grilled veggies you want for this recipe. I used squash,tomatoes, and zucchini. To add some extra flavor I smeared some pesto on the bread. It gave the sandwich another layer of garlicky, rich flavor. Plus, it gives the veggies something to stick to. This recipe calls for brie, but I used goat cheese because goat cheese rocks my world. You can even use fresh mozzarella. That sounds delicious.

Cook's Note: Cut a clove in garlic in half and rub it on the toasted bread for yummy garlicky flavor, but no chunks.

Grilled Veggie & Goat Cheese Crostini 

  (Adapted from Whole Foods.com)

 Ingredients ( Serves 4)

2 zucchini or medium yellow squash, sliced lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 thick-cut slices round country bread (sometimes known as a boule)
1 large garlic clove, split
10 ounces Brie cheese, sliced or goat cheese
1 large tomato, sliced
4 tablespoons store bought pesto ( optional)


Directions:
Prepare a grill for medium-high-heat cooking or preheat the broiler. Brush squash with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill or broil, turning once or twice, until tender and nicely browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.

Grill or broil bread until just lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Rub bread on both sides with garlic; discard garlic. Cover tops of slices with cheese of your choice; place on a cool part of the grill and cover the grill (or broil) until the cheese is somewhat melted. Top with grilled squash, tomatoes and sprouts. Cut each sandwich in half and serve

 This picture just cracked me up. So I had to add it. Some Food Bloggers have pets getting in their pics and this is what I have......

My Husband. :)

 



2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! I am heading to the farmers market right now & will be using the bounty I pick up to make this over the weekend! I love goat cheese also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! That's why I love farmer's markets! If they have a cheese booth there get some Fresh Mozzarella!

    ReplyDelete