Thursday, March 1, 2012

Steamers with Wine & Butter Sauce


I must confess, this was my first time making steamers. Steamers, if you are not familiar are steamed clams. Like most shellfish, they are so easy to cook. You literally throw them in a pot with some liquid (beer,stock,wine) and they open and absorb all that yummyness!Serve this with some crust bread and you have yourself a great meal or appetizer. 

This was literally, one of the easiest appetizers I have ever done. Make sure that you wash the steamers before you steam them. You want to make sure you you get out any grit or shellfish gunk. You can totally get creative with what kind of a flavor bath these clams take. I think beer and bacon would be nice. White wine and shallots are a nice combination. Play around with this recipe. I bet you will find some you like. How about coconut milk and chillis? That just came to me. I think that would be divine. You can also you this recipe with other shellfish like mussels. The recipe I adapted from is on the site  Making Light.


Ingredients
3-4 lbs. live steamers ( clams)
3 tbsp. butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 bottle white wine ( we used 3/4 bottle)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
thick slices of French bread
Directions
1.Put your clams in a strainer and thoroughly wash the clams. 
2.Melt the 3 tbsp. butter in a tall pan and cook the garlic in it until soft. Pour in the entire bottle of wine and add the pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. 
3.Add the clams. Put a lid on the pot and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. If no clams are open wait a bit longer.
4. Remove the clams from the pot with a slotted spoon, and strain the broth through a fine strainer. 5. Put in a large bowl with juice and serve with crusty toasted bread. Also serve bowl for shells. 
* Optional* Serve with butter  for dunking. People love it. Everything is better with butter.

4 comments:

  1. I love steamers. Especially with an ice cold beer! Great blog, recipe and photos!!!!!

    Following you on Twitter :)

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Holly!!! I'm so happy you found me!

      Delete
  2. I have been on the lookout for a good butter sauce - yours definitely sounds hearty :)
    yum!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Giant Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Peanut Butter M&M Cookie For One

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looks delish. I now live in NC but was born, grew up and spent 35 years in RI. I was just telling my boyfriend when we come up this summer our first order of business is to get some steamers!

    So glad I stumbled upon your blog. Great pictures and amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete