Saturday, November 26, 2011

What to do with Thanksgiving Leftovers? Potato Croquettes

My Family's Favorite Leftover
So this has to be one of my family's favorite thanksgiving leftovers. Potato Croquettes! Use leftover mashed potatoes in these fried balls of goodness. You can also add yummy things to these for a surprise center- pieces of left over cheese, prosciutto, bacon,scallions. Whatever you want.

I figured I owed my Dad after the whole signed Mario Batali cookbook he gave me so I made him these croquettes with the mashed potatoes they sent me home with at Thanksgiving. You can make these without leftovers and just boil the potatoes and not put butter or milk in them, but leftovers are easier. Here is the recipe that I loosely followed.

Ingredients

  • Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon chopped green onion
  • 3 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 cups mashed potatoes
  • Sifted dried bread crumbs
  • Peanut oil or vegetable oil , enough to fill pan 1/2-inch

Directions

 Chill and then shape leftover potatoes using an ice cream scoop and put into fridge overnight so they are firm. Roll in flour then dip in the beaten egg, then roll through bread crumbs. Fry each croquette in shallow oil until brown on all sides.


Cook's Note: Cook in small batches, giving each croquette at least 2 inches of space around it to not overcrowd the pan. This prevents the croquettes from crumbling while frying


No comments:

Post a Comment