Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner- Nutella Stuffed French Toast

Best ingredients EVER
Ok- I know breakfast for dinner is not an inventive idea. Plenty of people enjoy breakfast for dinner. I have never been one of those people. I like breakfast, but I am not in love with the idea of breakfast. I invited Kait over for dinner Sunday night and I thought about what I could make all day. For some reason nothing was sounding good to me. It was possible I was being lazy, but nothing was coming to me. Then- I Had It!!! Breakfast for Dinner. I had been craving french toast lately, but I only had regular wheat bread. Bleh. Good for sandwiches, but not french toast!I toyed with the idea of cream cheese and strawberry stuffed french toast. That idea led me to- Nutella Stuffed French Toast. So maybe this isn't even breakfast for dinner. Dessert for dinner? Probably closer to what we ate. Kait and I stuffed ours with strawberries also and it reminded me of the nutella and strawberry crepes at the Creperie. Love the combination.

Serves 5

Ingredients:

  • 10 slices thick bread of your choice or 5 large pieces with a pocket cut out. Whatever you prefer
  • 5-6 Tbsp. chocolate hazelnut spread, such as Nutella
  • 4 large eggs
  • Splash of milk or cream ( don't use skim)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 3-4 Tbsp. butter
  • tsp cinnamon
  • tsp nutmeg
  • Powdered Sugar

Preparation:

  1. Preheat a grill pan  to 350 degrees F. Or heat a large skillet over medium heat.

  2. Spread Nutella over five of the bread slices. What we did was cut the pieces of bread thick and cut pockets in them with a sharp knife.  Top with remaining bread slices to make five sandwiches. Place the sandwiches in a 9 x 13 baking dish.

  3. Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla,cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over the sandwiches. Using tongs or your fingers, turn to make sure sandwiches soak up egg mixture.

  4. Add butter to skillet.

  5. Place French toast sandwiches in skillet. Cook  until golden brown. Turn and cook another 2-4 minutes until golden on the other side. Cover for the last minute of cooking, so the Nutella melts completely. Top with powdered sugar.
Another idea I had for this was stuffing them with nutella and BACON. I know. I know. Genius. I love the idea of sweet and salty so if that sounds good to you. Go for it.
OMG Golden Goodness!
Our breakfast- including tater tots,bacon and hot chocolate=YUM




1 comment:

  1. I had never tasted Nutella until one day when I realized, My daughter was getting obsessed with Nutella.I tried my toast with banana and Nutella. It was real Yumm. Then I myself made chewy nutella granola squares for her. Not to worry your idea of eating breakfast for dinner sounds great unless you are happy.

    ReplyDelete